Sunday, December 21, 2008

XYZ

do you remember saying that as a kid? XYZ (examine your zipper) PDQ (pretty darn quick). well, maybe i should still be saying that to myself as an adult. here's a helpful tip for anyone earning their living or fulfilling their calling regularly in front of people... make sure you have a good knowledge of - and you put that knowledge to good use - how to work the devices that hold your pants up (buttons, snaps, zippers, etc.) i'm 33 years old and yet this morning i felt like i was 3 (or 13) when i happened to notice that my suit pants were unzipped. i was sitting next to my wife and it was towards the end of the sermon. what does one do in that type of situation. it's never easy to nonchalantly maneuver a 'zip-up" while remaining seated. oh yeah, and i was on the front row... awkward. my wife just laughed at me. i've actually done this before, um, on the day that i announced our engagement to our church. well, i was able to quickly dart into my office between services and correct the problem. fortunately, i was wearing a suit coat so i don't think anyone noticed. (of course, if they're reading this, they know now.) at least for the next few times before i stand in front of a large group of people i will remember to examine my zipper pretty darn quick.

here's to the situations in life that keep us humble! :-)

2 comments:

Luke Holmes said...

I thought that is what the prayer was for. That is the benefit of standing behind a pulpit. I usually do a quick check during a prayer in the service. Maybe that is sacrilege, I don't know. Probably nobody saw with the suit coat.

Stephen Hinkle said...

LOL, a couple weeks ago our senior pastor realized he was undone (what is wrong with our staff?!) and he considered a brief moment of prayer but was sure that someone would keep their eyes open, haha! actually, i'm pretty sure nobody saw on me. i don't usually wear a suit, but when i do, this usually happens.